Saturday, December 8, 2007

Pickpockets & Other Dangers


I really hate to make my first posting on my Buenos Aires Blog about something negative, but I want our guests to have a good time and not get ripped off. BA is simply sublime when all is going well. But like in Chicago, or any large city, you have to be on your guard. During our last trip (Nov-07), someone tried to pickpocket me two different times:

1. On a very crowded downtown subte (subway) car, standing near the doors, I felt fingers reaching into my back pocket. I quickly turned around, pretending to get a better grip of the handrail. The guy was directly in front of me, looking innocent and off to the right. Moments later, I felt tugging on the camera case, which is strapped to my belt and on my side. I realized that the same guy was trying to open the zipper on the camera case. I shifted, placed my hand on my camera case and stared at the guy, who pretended to ignore and moved away. I noticed that had pulled the zipper open about halfway. I began to formulate a plan. I saw that he had his cell phone in his shirt pocket. I figured that at the next stop, as the doors opened, I would reach into his pocket, grab the phone and hurl it out on to the platform. I envisioned that he would go after it. But then he pulled out the phone and began playing with it. So instead, I took his photo. He immediately turned away, pretending to be looking out the window, and vanished the moment the doors opened at the next stop.

2. At another sutbe platform, as a train pulled up, everyone rushed forward, even though there are throngs of people trying to get off. All the bodies are in contact at such a moment and it's an ideal opportunity for a pickpocket. Sure enough, I felt some tugging at my camera case. I looked down and saw that a middle-aged woman's hand was struggling with the zipper. What astonished me was her clever approach. Her purse was cut open at one end and her hand was protruding from it. Had she snatched my camera, she would have simple pulled it into the purse. Of course, I pulled away and she instantly vanished, never actually getting on the train. (A good strategy would be to hang back, let the crowd get on the train, and get on last.)

Taxi trouble

Here's a tip we all need to keep in mind when in BA: If a taxi driver initiates a telephone call or starts texting after you get into the cab, it's probably prudent to immediately tell him to stop, get out and walk away. Find a different cab. I read this tip a while back somewhere, but this story puts it into perspective:

KIDNAPPED

Update (2-21-09): I learned that some dishonest taxi drivers at Retiro train station are pulling this trick: When a passenger gets into the car, they insist on seeing the bills that you plan to pay with. When you hand them the bill(s) to examine, they substitute them with counterfeit bills. Tip: If you are paying with a large bill, memorize the last three digits and read them to the driver as you hand them the bill. -OR- pay in small bills. That will drive him nuts.

Don't wear expensive stuff

We were on a bus on Av. Sante Fe. I was talking with my friend Ralph; Carolyn was sitting with our friend Nancy. Unexpectedly, another passenger, a woman, said to me, in English, that she recognized that Carolyn was wearing a Movado watch and a diamond ring. She cautioned that thieves recognize the real thing. Nothing happened, but at least we were warned. Carolyn put her watch and ring away.


Be careful out there.

Also see: Trip Advisor posting

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Dexclusive is selling authentic brand name watches, with some watches listed with a LARGE discount.